This orange and chocolate chip cake has got to be one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make – and it tastes great too!
All you need is a whole orange, a packet of chocolate chips and then your run of the mill, everyday cake ingredients, butter, sugar, eggs and self-raising flour, and this cake can be quickly and easily whipped up in a blender or food processor in no time!
Cut the orange into quarters and add it to your food processor or large blender.
Yes, the whole orange! No need to peel! Don’t worry if you don’t normally like the taste of orange rind (my family and I don’t like marmalade or anything else with bits of fruit rind in it), the blending process reduces the orange to tiny pieces so you can’t taste the bitterness of the rind.
Next add the butter and the sugar to the blender or food processor.
Process on high speed until it looks a bit like scrambled eggs.
Then add your eggs, one at a time and blend well after each addition.
When all 3 eggs have been added and blended in, tip the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
And fold through the self-raising flour until well combined.
Next simply add your packet of chocolate chips. (The original recipe my mother gave me calls for a “packet” of chocolate chips. This was back in the day when a “packet” was normally 250g – most packets of chocolate chips are now 200g.
It’s up to you whether you’d like to add a few more chocolate chips or not – I always say the more the merrier in regards to chocolate chips!
Also, I always use dark chocolate chips because my family loves dark chocolate with orange, but you could easily use milk chocolate chips if you prefer and still get a delicious result.).
Fold the chocolate chips through the mixture until well combined.
Spoon the mixture (it’s quite thick) into a cake pan. I like to use a silicone cake pan because I’m a bit of a lazy baker and one of my pet peeves is greasing and lining cake tins so I only do so when absolutely necessary!
Then into the oven it goes!
Once baked, allow it to cool a bit in the cake tin before tipping out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Lightly dust with icing sugar before serving, if desired.
Easy Orange And Choc Chip Cake Recipe
Easy Orange And Choc Chip Cake
- 1 whole orange cut into quarters (leave the skin on)
- 250 g butter cubed
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising/self-rising flour
- 1 packet 200-250g chocolate chips (I use dark but milk chocolate would also be fine)
- Preheat oven to 180℃ / 350℉
- Grease and line a round cake tin (or use a silicone cake pan)
- Place the orange quarters into a blender or food processor.
- Add the butter and sugar.
- Process until smooth and combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, process after each addition.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and fold through the self-raising flour.
- Add chocolate chips and combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared tin or cake pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour depending on your oven and the size/type of pan used.
- Allow to cool in the pan for approximately 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving if desired.
The classic flavours of orange and chocolate go so well together (that’s why Jaffa’s are so popular!). So easy to make, why not make yourself an easy orange and choc chip cake today?
You’ll be glad you did!