When you think of fried rice you probably think of woks and stir-frying, which is correct – that’s the normal way to make fried rice – it’s in the name “fried” rice! But, what if I told you there’s a very simple way to make fried rice using your slow cooker or crock pot?
Amazing but true! Slow cooked fried rice is very easy to make at home and will give you a similar result to your favourite fried rice from your local Chinese restaurant. While this recipe is simple, it’s not as quick as making regular fried rice so, if you need dinner on the table in a hurry, this is not the fried rice recipe for you!
Unless you’ve planned for it! While we use a slow cooker to make this tasty dish, it’s not as slow to cook as a lot of other slow cooked recipes so, if you plan ahead you can have this rice dish fully cooked and ready to eat within 2 hours or less.
Is This The Best Way To Make Fried Rice?
So, is this simple method the best way to make fried rice? I think so. Truthfully I’ve never had much luck with traditional fried rice methods and just couldn’t replicate that Chinese restaurant taste.
This easy fried rice recipe, even though it’s cooked in your slow cooker or crock pot, gives the best results of any homemade fried rice recipe I’ve tried.
How To Make Slow Cooker Fried Rice
I keep going on about how easy it is so let’s get on with showing you how it’s done!
Firstly put your chicken stock into your slow cooker and set it to high.
Then heat your raw rice and oil in a pan stirring constantly for 3 minutes or so.
Add your veggies and eggs and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute more.
Add the rice and veggie mixture to your slow cooker and mix it through the stock.
Cook the bacon until crispy.
Add the bacon to the slow cooker and give it a stir.
Cook onions until golden then add garlic, fish sauce and soy sauce.
Add to the slow cooker and give it a stir.
Place a clean tea towel over the slow cooker, under the lid and cook on high for 1 and a half hours.
When your one and a half hours is up you’ll be left with a crock pot full of delicious, fluffy fried rice!
Slow Cooker Fried Rice Recipe
Slow Cooker Fried Rice
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Rice uncooked/raw I used Basmati but you can use any type.
- 4 teaspoons Peanut Oil
- 1 Brown Onion diced finely (or combination of onion and spring onions)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic minced or chopped very finely
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Frozen Vegetables I used peas and corn but you can also use finely chopped carrot/capsicum - whatever you want to use up
- ½ cup chopped Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- Add chicken stock to slow cooker and set on High.
- Heat raw rice and oil in a pan and stir constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and eggs.
- Stir for 1 minute to combine and to break up the eggs as they cook.
- Add to the slow cooker and mix through with the stock.
- Cook bacon in your pan until crispy, then add to the slow cooker.
- Cook onion in the pan until golden then add garlic, fish sauce, and soy sauce.
- Add this mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place a clean tea towel under the lid of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 1.5 hours.
While this may not be the fastest way to make fried rice at home, we think this slow cooker fried rice recipe gives the tastiest results and it’s so easy! And you’ve got that 1.5 hours of cooking time to prepare the rest of your meal or get on with whatever else needs doing!